Monday, December 22, 2008

Cruise!

We had a wonderful time on our cruise! We flew to Ft Lauderdale and met up w/my great-aunt & uncle (Jerry & Barb) as they were surprising G'pa & G'ma on this trip. 

So, for the sake of saving time at the airport, T & I packed light. We were planning on carrying-on our luggage...(aren't you impressed? I had the 3oz liquids in the 1qt baggies and everything!) However, at the last minute, Dad talked us into just checking our bags since the rest of our group was checking their luggage anyways. So, my luggage is ALWAYS last. It doesn't matter who I'm traveling with, where we are going, but it's ALWAYS last off the belt. So when we get to Ft Lauderdale and my bag is the only one missing from our luggage stack, I don't stress b/c I figure, once again, it's going to be last. However, this time it was different. For some reason, my luggage (and yes, ONLY mine!) ended up at the Miami airport instead of Ft Lauderdale. Very convenient, I know. After my suitcase is found in Miami, the Delta attendant (who, by the way, is way too happy for this early in the day, especially to be talking to someone who isn't so happy that her suitcase is 45 minutes away) reassures us this is not a big deal, someone from Carnival cruise will pick it up and take it our ship, but first we must check in w/our cruise line before they will do anything. (Are you thinking that she's making this sound ALL too familiar?? -- yeah, me too!) Once we checked in and talked to several cruise reps, I learned that my suitcase was on a van w/ "all the other luggage and it's on its way to port right now". "All the other luggage" at this point in the day made me feel somewhat comforted...I guess I wouldn't have been the only one on the ship wearing a turtleneck, long jean skirt, cotton tights, and snow boots in the 80 degree weather for the next 5 days! Anyways, to make a long story short, I got my suitcase about 4 hours later just before we left the port. *whew!* I must add that I didn't start really stressing about this until about 1 hour before we left the port...aren't you impressed??? Somehow I knew I could trust the Carnival reps w/my dearly beloved suitcase! lol :) 

Anyways, we really did have an awesome trip, despite the missing-for-6-hours suitcase.

We left from Miami, went to the Bahamas, Half Moon Cay, & Grand Turk. 

In the Bahamas we visited Paradise Island via ferry from Nassau. On the ferry we learned a lot about the island, who lives there, owns it, etc. In the slide show below there are pictures from the Atlantis (on Paradise Island). We toured the Atlantis and did some shopping at the market.

Half Moon Cay is a privately owned island about 79 miles from the Bahamas. And it's just beautiful! The water is so pretty!!  We spent the day soaking in the sun and enjoying the beautiful beach. There are also some pictures below.

Lastly, we went to Grand Turk. It is known for it's snorkeling and beaches...and also it's shopping. We went shopping and also visited the beach. We would have liked to tour the island but didn't have much time to spare after shopping. :) 

The last day on the ship we spent the day at sea. Thankfully, the seas were "smooth sailing" that day. We learned how to make towel animals, watched as a large block of ice was carved into a swan and just relaxed. And of course, ate a LOT! :) 

Enjoy the pictures!




1 comment:

Teresa said...

Atlantis is where we went when you kept the kids last time. Seeing the pictures makes me want to go back. I love the carribeans in the winter. What a fun trip.